The merits of shampoo and shower powders versus liquid shampoos and shower gels
Liquid shampoos and shower gels generally have a water content approaching 75%, which obviously increases transport weight and thereby adds to CO² emissions. The remaining 25% mainly consists of irritating surfactants, preservatives, fragrances, thickeners, alcohols, parabens and palm oils. These ingredients are mostly obtained synthetically or from monocultures and produced using chemical processes with questionable additives. Unfortunately, surfactants and preservatives are also used in natural shampoos. Although these ‘greener’ surfactants are mostly of natural origin and are also more quickly biodegradable, they are neither organically grown (free of pesticides) nor are they unadulterated. The advantage of liquid products is that they are easier to apply, dissolve fats more quickly and generate plentiful foam – but that’s as far as it goes. Moreover, consumers often apply excessive quantities, which puts an additional strain on our sewage treatment facilities. The skin, as our largest organ, dries out and transports these unwanted ingredients into our body. The packaging is usually made of petroleum-based plastic. Our powder products contain 100% active ingredients and come from certified organic cultivation. This means that our raw materials are completely natural and free from the pesticides that not only damage soil structure and microorganisms but are also harmful to insect and animal life. They are not subjected to any chemical changes in the production process (saponification, etherification or other synthetic processes) which would pollute our waste water, and they are gentle on the skin. Because our packaging is 100% plastic free, we drastically reduce CO² emissions and packaging waste.